Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Buying a Used Gypsy

Default Buying a Used Gypsy

I am starting this thread to help members with tips on buying a used Gypsy.

I have owned my Gypsy King for the last 14 years and can share some of my personal experiences which everyone which may also prove handy when looking for a second hand vehicle:

1. The engine should be sound - mine was a Carb Gypsy King and the only trouble I had was that the carb needed cleaning once or twice a year depending on usage. MPFI vehicle should be run through a diagnostic test at MASS for engine health check.
    2. The Gearbox on Gypsy Kings are bullet proof and rarely go wrong. In my Gyspy, after over a lakh kms, only the 1st gear was replace once. Change the GB oil.
    3. The transfer case tends to get stuck sometimes on vehicles which never or rarely had the 4wd engaged. Sometimes just and T-case oil change sorts the problem and sometimes you will have to go to MASS. Not very expensive though if nothing needs replacing.
    4. Diffs are again bullet proof and mine has not been touched yet.
    5. Suspension is cheap and in you need stuff replaced it wont cost a bomb.
    6. Steering bits may be expensive so try the following checks. Pull the steering towards you and then push it inwards, also try shaking it sideways - if it moves, get it checked at MASS as some or all of it may need replacement. Play in the steering can be adjusted so that dosent mean a lot.
    7. The Brake Master cylinder leaks sometimes. Check the reservoir and the master cylinder itself. This can be repaired or replaced. MASS will usually replace it whereas an outside mechanic can repair it. Mine was repaired at 52K kms and is still going strong at over 1lakh kms.
    8. Check the running boards, footwell, rear floor for rust. The area near the wiper blade mounts also tends to get rusty. Although in my personal opinion, if you are getting a good price, bodywork can be sorted out.
    9. Check the front discs for uneven wear. Replacement discs are not as exepnsive as that on cars but can still pinch.
    10. PLEASE WALK AWAY FROM HEAVILY MODDIFIED VEHICLES unless you are an expert and can vouch for the quality of the mods if it suits your taste.

All in all, it depends on what the sellers asking price is and what you are getting in return. In my personal experience, not a lot can go wrong with a gypsy in your engine is running well. Rest can be sorted out (for a price). Although the parts are comparitively cheap but it helps to go to a MASS and the the prices for spare parts like:
    • Steering column & box
    • 1 set of leaf spring and shocker
    • a gear replacement in the gearbox
    • transfer case service
    • brake pads
    • brake disc
    • brake master cyllinder
    • clutch and pressure plate

I am NOT an expert and the above are based on my experience on MY Gyspy. The experiences of other members may vary.

Cheers
    Ankit

How much do used civilian Gyppos go for? The 413, not the 410.

Hi buddy, welcome to 4wd4all!!

Cost of second hand vehicle depends on a mix of factors like:

1. Availability in your city
    2. Condition of the vehicle
    3. Year of Manufacture
    4. Modification if any (better avoided in my personal opinion)

MG413 Carbs range from 1.2L to 2L and MPFi start from 2.25L onwards. The lower range would obviously be for a poor condition vehicle.

How is the availability on Kolkata?

Thanks man.

Haven't seen any 1.3s yet. Have seen a few 410s.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Buying a Used Gypsy

Hi Ankit,
    I'm planning to buy a Gypsy King and get the same restored as per my choice of modifications. Wish to get a diesel engine fitted, as uses is going to be on higher side.

I have been two times to Mayapuri, and collecting more informations.
    Is't worth to go for 2000 or 2002 models???

I'm also not sure about the currect prices. I need your help to fulfill my dream.

Quote Originally Posted by rranjan View Post
    Hi Ankit,
    I'm planning to buy a Gypsy King and get the same restored as per my choice of modifications. Wish to get a diesel engine fitted, as uses is going to be on higher side.

I have been two times to Mayapuri, and collecting more informations.
    Is't worth to go for 2000 or 2002 models???

I'm also not sure about the currect prices. I need your help to fulfill my dream.
    Hi rranjan

If you wish to put in a diesel engine in the Gypsy I would suggest you go in for the Carb King. Mpfi Kings are more expensive to purchase. Carb variant would be cheaper.

Are you planning to keep the 4x4 or remove it? What engine have you thought about? Please note that you will not be able to get the Diesel endorsed on the RC as petrol to diesel conversion has been banned by Supreme Court.

Cheers
    Ankit

P.S. see my diesel gypsy thread: http://4wd4all.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5

Blog Entries

Thanks Ankit for response...

I also think the same way.. to go for any old model and get the body
    re-maked completely.
    I wish to keep 4X4 intact. I have no idea, which diesel engine will be most suitable for this vehicle with 4x4.
    Mayapuri people are suggesting to go for ISUZU engine, if I want to use 4x4. Other options available is Toyota (but need to remove 4x4). I have no experience or any idea about performance of these engines, neither I have driven any gypsy with converted engine. pl'se share your experience on that also.

For the last two years I'm in Delhi, but I have no contact of any good mechanic here. I have an option of taking raw vehicle to my home town (Gaya) and get the modifications done there. I have good resources there.

While in Mayapuri, I also looked for MM550, but the roughness of the vehicle is dithering my decision. what's your suggestions?

I have gone thr your other gypsy thread. It's very exhaustive. thanks for the same.